Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Race Report: Giro Donne Stage 5


Tea Party


When I looked out my hotel window this morning and did not see a hill in sight I was sure that it would be a day for the sprinters.  For a moment at the start of the race I thought that I was back in Belgium between the windy corn fields.  One rider, Tiffany Cromwell, of Team Orica Green Edge got away about 20km into the race and the bunch seemed happy to let her go.  By the look of things the general classification riders were taking a “rest’’ day.  The rider quickly got a huge gap on the bunch which by that time settled nicely into a tea party vibe with people chatting along.  It was only in the last 10km that the pace picked up again when the teams were trying to set up their sprinters.  Cherise Taylor did an amazing job navigating through the treacherous bunch to finish the race in 10th place.  The rest of the team, including me, all finished in the bunch.  Tomorrow should be another relatively flat stage that starts in Modena and finishes 122km later in Salsomaggiore Terme.

The difference between the after race snacks of the riders and the staff

No comments:

Post a Comment