Friday, June 22, 2012

The Road Less Travelled


Although I did not get to travel to any of big cities like Barcelona or Madrid I fell in love with the Spanish countryside.  One of the neighbours at the sports hotel I was staying at asked the owner when he was building the hotel why people would want to come here.  All I can think of is why not.  Travelling and seeing the world as a cyclist surely is different than what it would be like for a typical tourist.  We take the road less travelled and get to experience something special and true about every place we visit.  For us it is not about rushing to the next sight to tick off a list but rather to, for a short while at least, live the life of the locals in the country we find ourselves in.  Most of the time it is the simple pleasure of riding your bike somewhere new and being surprised about what you find around every corner.

It is about cycling up that big mountain in the area instead of walking up the stairs of a prominent manmade structure.  It is about taking the time to get to know the people you meet along the way instead of fighting them to be the last person to fit into an already crowded subway train.  Putting my feet up and taking the time to enjoy the view instead of rushing off to the next thing on the to-do-list.   Shopping for different local foods and wine instead of sitting at a café in a busy city square.  I do have to confess that when it comes to shopping for clothing or shoes I do act like a typical tourist on more occasions than I should.
When I used to have a desk job all I could think of was that ski holiday or a trip to Greece.  I woke up one day realizing that the things I thought I wanted I do not need anymore.  I chose a different type of lifestyle and together with every person and sponsor associated with Team MTN Qhubeka I made a life for myself with so much more in it.  I no longer have to wait a year for that two week holiday but I live the dream every day of my life.  Love the life you live!

No comments:

Post a Comment